10.01.2008

...

This morning, I got an email that broke my heart. It was a link to a news story from my hometown. It’s a story that happened just at the end of my mom’s dirt road to a boy only two years younger than me. The part of the story that commenced my heart to breaking is the picture. Yes, the story is awful and tragic and heartbreaking in and of itself. But the picture, the look on the face of a father who took his own son’s life in a moment of anger- my Lord be with them- it breaks my heart.

I can’t defend or explain or even make sense of it. All I know is that the picture breaks my heart. It’s the picture of a father who just because associated with the word “murderer”. It’s the picture of a father who will never see his son again- who won’t even be allowed to attend his funeral. It’s a father who will have to live with his decision for the rest of his breaths. And maybe it’s deserved… I just can’t help but feel he didn’t mean to and if he could take it back, he would hug his son so tightly that a gun would be the last thing he would want to hold. I can’t help but mourn the lost life of a son- and that of a father as I prepare to bring my own son into this world.

Good Lord… I just don’t have any words.

Update: From what I've heard, it appears to have been self-defense. The son was threatening his dad with a tire tool and apparently was on drugs. He's out on bail and at home. For what it's worth...

1 comment:

Cristal said...

ugh- wish i hadn't seen that. so sad