So. I get a message: "Hi Sara, this is _______ and your number is in my husband's cell phone and I'm just trying to clear some stuff up with him. Please call me back at...."
Now. I know I don't know this woman, nor do I know her husband. The area code is not from an area I visit often, especially since moving from Dallas. My number is only a couple of months old (for me) and not a lot of people have it, so I'm positive I didn't give my number to someone I don't remember. And let's face it, I don't meet anyone to give my number to. (Plus I'm happily un-single.)
So, internet. Tell me- What in the world would you do? Call her back and further the shit storm this guy has found himself in? Call her back and lie to cover his ass (yeah right!)? Or, like I'm leaning toward-- do nothing.
*Update* Sunday morning, I checked my phone and sure enough, I had a "private call", a call from the original number and a text message that said, "Hey". That makes about 10 private calls that I had either missed or sent to voicemail because I was at work. C grabbed my phone and said, "I'm calling back. This has got to stop!" So, the calls the original number- not the number "Jessica" had left on my voicemail. The guy answers and says, "Hold on" and immediately gives the phone to her. She says, "I think there's been a misunderstanding..." C says, "Yeah, I think so. This is my girlfriend's number and she's only had it for about two months." She says she's sorry and they hang up.
I cannot begin to imagine the levels of hell she put him through over the weekend, but somehow he'd managed to convince her that he really didn't know me. *whew* I'm glad THAT is over.
I should be working on month-end close
- Missing Person. Officers took a missing person report from a complainant in Crockett who said their brother went to The Anex in Nacogdoches last night but never returned home to Crockett. Crockett PD then located him this afternoon driving drunk in town and arrested him.
- At 1:33 a.m. an officer observed a vehicle that was parked with the engine running in Lot 58. As the officer approached the vehicle he observed that the driver was slumped over behind the steering wheel. The officer made contact with the driver and could detect a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage on his breath. The officer then placed this subject under arrest for public intoxication and transported him to the Nacogdoches County Law Enforcement Center.
- An officer was dispatched to the University Center in reference to theft. The officer contacted the complainant, who stated that sometime between 12/20/2007 and 02/12/2008 a Kodak camera was noticed to be missing or misplaced from the office of the Multicultural Center in the student center and the complainant further advised that she needed to file a report. There are no suspects.
- An officer was dispatched to the University Center in reference to criminal mischief that occurred by four juvenile males. The officer arrived and contacted the complainant, who stated that a black marks-a-lot was used by one of the juveniles to write on the walls. It was found that the juvenile that had written on the walls had been previously banned from campus. He was taken into custody and transported to the Juvenile Detention facility in Longview. There are four suspects.
- An officer was dispatched to Steen Hall in reference to a person with a handgun. The officer made contact with the complainant, who stated that she observed a male exhibit a handgun from the waistband of his pants. The suspect was gone upon the officer's arrival and the officer received further information that the handgun was possibly a toy. There are no suspects.
- Assault. Officers were dispatched to this residence regarding a disturbance. Officers arrived and contacted suspects who are husband and wife. Officers determined that the two had a lengthy argument during which they pushed and shoved each other. They were intoxicated and not cooperative, and both were arrested.
- Driving while intoxicated/possession of a control substance/possession of marijuana. An officer observed a vehicle attempt a U-turn in the 1900 block of North Street. The vehicle struck both curbs, crossed the sidewalk and went around a light pole. Officer affected a traffic stop on the vehicle and it pulled over the curb and onto the sidewalk. Officer contacted and identified the driver as Phillip Harvey. He displayed indicators of intoxication. Officer instructed Harvey through field sobriety tests and did poorly. He was arrested. A search of the vehicle incident to arrest revealed Hydrocodone, Alprazolam, Carisprodol and marijuana. He was arrested.
- Criminal Trespass. An officer was dispatched to Rudy's regarding a subject refusing to leave. Officers told him to leave and he stated he would not leave. Officers informed him he would be arrested if he did not leave. He told officers to arrest him. He was arrested.
Seriously. What (practically) 28 year old, self respecting woman listens to MILEY CYRUS aka HANNAH EFFING MONTANA?!!!
Here's the chorus which made me laugh out loud when I read it. THIS is what I sang in the shower this morning?!!!
The last time I freaked out
I just kept looking down
I st-st-stuttered when you asked me what I’m thinkin’ ’bout
Felt like I couldn’t breathe
You asked what’s wrong with me
My best friend Leslie said
Oh she’s just being Miley
The next time we hang out
I will redeem myself
My heart it can’t rest till then
Oo oh Oo Oh I, I can’t wait to see you again
I'm going to the gym now and am secretly hoping I hear it on my drive there so I can stop singing, "I'm just being Mil-ey" over and over and over again in my head. Ugh.
I tell you all of that to tell you this. Plain and simply, I'm jealous. I'm jealous of her beautiful photographs and I'm jealous of the work she's put into her talent. I know it's silly, but I kick myself when I see them because I could and should be working towards achieving the same thing. I have the equipment and I have the eye, I just haven't gotten around to adding to the knowledge base and oh, what's that word--- PRACTICING. I kick myself for being lazy and not taking advantage of time. Don't get me wrong, I am very proud of the work she's doing. The quality is exceptional which is exactly what I would expect from her. And perhaps, my lackadaisical attitude is exactly what I should expect from myself.
It sure as hell doesn't mean I have to like it, though.
Even though I got half a day off on Friday, the weekend seemed too short- I guess because we were busy. Hopefully this weekend will fly and next weekend will be "longer". Ha!
Why am I not surprised?
Easter is always cold... I can't remember a warm one. My dress is always short-sleeved and I'm always cold in church. Ugh. I guess I have no one to blame but myself, but you'd think I'd learn after 28 Easters.
Now, I'm debating driving back to my apartment to snag a sweatshirt. And a jacket for church.
In the Christian liturgical calendar, Maundy Thursday or Holy Thursday is the feast or holy day falling on the Thursday before Easter that commemorates the Last Supper of Jesus Christ with the Apostles. It is the fifth day of Holy Week, and is preceded by Holy Wednesday and followed by Good Friday.
On this day four events are commemorated: the washing of the Disciples' feet by Jesus Christ, the institution of the Mystery of the Holy Eucharist at the Last Supper, the agony of Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane, the betrayal of Christ by Judas Iscariot.
I don't have any special plans, but it's interesting just the same. Maybe I'll get a pedicure.
Today is also the first day of spring, 2008! Fitting that the weather will be PERFECT. I'm looking so forward to the weekend- as usual. We're only working half a day tomorrow, so for that I'm glad. I love having my "moonroof" open when the weather is nice. Pretty soon it'll be too hot, though. When did they stop calling it a "sunroof" anyway?
This is the most stressful week I've had yet. My boss is out of town, so I don't have her to deflect me from the intimidating supervisors questioning why our inventory is so horrendous. I've got answers though and I'm pretty confident I can hush them... at least until she gets back. I don't know why I feel like that number is my responsibility-- I have absolutely nothing to do with production-- but I do. My stomach was in knots all day yesterday... I'm such a people pleaser. So far I've only had one visitor, but the day is young.
I'm selling our opening day tickets. Well, I'm going to attempt to sell them, anyway. Since C is going hunting in Colorado this fall (E, there's an extra couple of spots), he needs all the vacation time he has. And since opening day falls on a Tuesday AND we have plans to go to a game the following Sunday, it just made since to ditch the expensive bitches and enjoy a weekend instead of driving up and back on the same day, mid-week. If anyone is interested in the tickets, let me know. Be warned that they're hellaciously expensive, even if you pay what I paid. Yesterday, I checked the site where I bought them and tickets three rows from mine are listed for $100 more than what I paid in January, so Mama's hoping for a profit! I'm listing them tonight and if no one buys them, then we'll just have to go. Sounds like a plan to me.
My car is still kicking ass. My current tank of gas is averaging 28mpg. Rock on.
Saturday, we're celebrating C's dad's birthday with crawfish. I don't eat the boogers, but I'll enjoy the sunshine and the corn (and beer). I'm planning on church on Sunday and lunch at my mama's. I bought a new dress for Easter and let me tell you, a) I'm glad it was on sale and b) I'm glad I'm going to the gym. Ick.
Y'all take care.
Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose...
Hi, my name is Brandon Rhyder. Last Friday night I was scheduled to play at the local Carthage venue, Alamo Bar. Upon arriving we discovered that the liquor license had been pulled from the venue and the show was at risk of being cancelled. Instead, the show went on as planned as a BYOB event.
It's not front page news that the community is divided when it comes to the subject of a bar being in this dry county. Old money, politics and religion are the center of attention with this issue and that fight is not my personal fight. I play in bars. That's how I feed my family and eight other families to boot. All the artists in the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame (in Carthage) played in bars. The artists you pay good money to see in coliseums most likely started out playing bars. I call it my second college education.
Some people have insinuated that District Attorney Danny Buck Davidson may have a vendetta against me. Danny Buck has been a family friend and has represented my family as a lawyer on occasion. I think Danny Buck was playing cards dealt by his constituents and he wants to be re-elected. I feel the timing was calculated and the intention specific. The timing affected my income.
I have never been asked to play at any other event in my hometown by the Chamber of Commerce and/or the Texas Country Music Hall of Fame. This does not insult me. I feel confident that opportunities would have presented themselves down the road as my career continues to grow.
People will tell me that this turn of events had nothing to do with me. It could have been any body else, but it wasn't. I came home to play where I was invited to play, and if asked again I will do the same.
Prohibition has long been silenced. I believe in freedom of speech and that the laws in place allowed the owners of the Alamo Bar to place residency on the loop.
It's ironic to me that in less than a year I was presented the key to the city for my accomplishments in music, invited home to play, only to find the locks had been changed.
I love commas.
- The Road by Cormac McCarthy
- Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving
- and two James Patterson novels, which are my guilty pleasure.
I just realized in looking up the links that The Road was an Oprah Book Club selection.. and you know I love me some Oprah.
Library's are such a spiritual place- all those words in one place is kind of intoxicating. All the hopes, dreams and adventures created by those authors- and the dreams that first book must have created for the authers themselves. I admire that level of passion and dedication. I have a couple of friends who could write a book... I'd buy it, even if they were just blowing sunshine.
On the way back from the library, I succesfully navigated a different way home than how I'd gotten there. In my travel, I passed a bar called the "Electric Cowboy". I immediately noticed the massive amount of cars there at only 7:30pm. The next thing I saw was the Girls Gone Wild bus. Class has officially arrived in East Texas, boys. *shudder*
Time for a salad and then Lost. Sheesh... next thing you know I'll be donating my time to the local convent or something.
Edit: I just opened A Prayer for John Meany to find a title for this blog and read the first sentence. You know when you just know you've found a good one? Well this is one.
I am doomed to remember a boy with a wrecked voice- not because of his voice, of because he was the smallest person I ever knew, or even because he was the instrument of my mother's death, but because he is the reason I believe in God; I am a Christian because of Owen Meany.
Things I miss about Dallas
- the Gap @ Mockingbird Station
- the patio @ Love and War in Plano - Shiner Sunday's anyone?
- Fort Worth
- Sunday movies at Tinseltown
- I-35, simply because Oklahoma or Austin is only a stone's throw away
- Concerts @ the Granada
- Blue Goose
- happy hour
- Dawn & Deidre
- My hairdresser, Sandra
- Thursday nights at the Glass Cactus or Firewater
- the famed St. Paddy's Day parade
*sigh* I need to make a run, soon.
I've blogged twice this morning, posted them and then immediately took them down because they were dumb. I don't know where this self-imposed critique is coming from, but I'm damn tired of it. I read other people's blogs and think, "That's cool.. why can't I write like that?" But my stuff comes out all stupid-like and dumb. Plus, I don't have anything good to write about. I feel like I need an adventure or a divorce (Woodrow) so I can have stories to choose from. And let's not even discuss how bad of a storyteller I am.
Disgust numero dos:
Bah. I'm hungry. I'm going to go warm up my Olive Garden leftovers (the other half of my entree that I didn't eat last night- go me!) and get ready to go to the gym. Yes, that's right. Today's the day I get my butt moving again... Lord knows it needs it.
But what I'd really like to do is go pig out on some mexican food and beer. How's that for irony?
Let it snow?
Talk about a surprise after opening the door this morning!
Camry for me
Enough of the car talk. Sadly, that's all I've got. But it does smell really, really good.